What You Need:
10-12 vanilla beans, grade B
1 bottle 80-proof vodka/ bourbon
How to Make It:
- Take out a cup of vodka from the bottle, so as to make it easier to shake the contents around.
- Separate the vanilla beans lengthwise and scrape the pods to expose as much of the beans as possible.
- Add the beans and scrapings into the vodka bottle.
- Label the date on it, cap, and shake it rigorously.
- Let it mature for 2 weeks to 2 months, until its smells like vanilla extract as you know it.
- Strain and enjoy.
- Put the beans and scrapings back into the bottle, add more vodka and repeat the process. It can go multiple rounds, though it may take longer to finish each batch.